Friday, January 25, 2008

human powered horticulture

     When I emailed a picture like this one to my elder brother Jamie, he wrote back and said, "Nice training wheels." I'll show you training wheels, big brother...
     I am now the proud owner of a Bikes At Work bicycle trailer, as you can see above. I take care of a couple local gardens as a side business, and this being Berkeley and all, I decided to run my operation in as "green" a fashion as possible - petroleum free. That leaves me with electricity and my own arms and legs, so, I saved my pennies and bought this 64AW, the extra wide model, fashioned completely out of aluminum, measuring around 8 feet long from hitch to rear reflectors, and weighing about 45 lbs.
     It's maiden voyage was Wednesday, where I rode high up into the Rockridge neighborhood lugging all my tools through backroads, either for safety reasons, or to avoid the unavoidable stares that seem to ask, "Is that a UFO?" After all, E.T. did get around on a bike.


 

No comments: